Search the Cinema Head Cheese Archives!

August 27, 2011

Eats & Drinks Review: Guinness Black Lager

Football season is upon us, and what better beverage can there be this time of year than beer? It's definitely something you can sit back and enjoy with friends while you discuss how you would coach your team better than the guy getting paid to do it. When people think of relaxing beers, most people don't jump to Guinness. I always do.

Find Guinness merchandise on Amazon.com

On a recent trip to Chicago, I stopped off with my brother-in-law to grab some beer. As I walked along the coolers, I noticed something unusual. There was a six pack of Guinness with silver labels. I grabbed it immediately. This was new, and I needed to try it. It was called Black Lager. Lucky for me, I found a store that was selling it before it's release date, which is September 1st.



On my first sip, I noticed the difference between Black Lager and Guinness Draught. Black Lager was lighter than its predecessor. It still had a bitterness to it, but it went down a little more like an American beer. When you pour it, you won't see that spectacular rise that you see with Draught. It was actually a little disappointing in that regard. The taste, however, was good. I put it down fairly quickly, and I soon went for another.

If you're looking for something new and interesting, I'd say you should try Black Lager. For me, it's not as good as Draught. I prefer the heavier consistency, but I would never turn a Black Lager down. I'd say it's a better beer for a hot day or for larger consumption. It won't fill you up the same way, and it seems like a beer that might go better with food. Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment