Search the Cinema Head Cheese Archives!

March 10, 2011

Interview: "Kill Devil Hill" Director Ace Jordan

By James DePaolo


I just witnessed this short 12 minute film called Kill Devil Hill. It started off innocent enough, a husband and wife and their two boys are just getting ready for bed. By the end of this 12 minute nightmare, it gets bizarre and very brutal. I decided to ask the man himself Ace Jordan what the hell he was thinking, when he gave me this sadistic vision.

1. What can you tell the fans plot-wise about Kill Devil Hill?


Kill Devil Hill is a short film about an unexplained double homicide in North Carolina. The film is loosely based on real events. The names and the location have been changed. I don't want to say anymore because it could ruin the movie for people. Just watch it. But be warned, if you're pregnant or have a heart condition this film is not for you!

2. This film is pretty realistic and brutal, what made you take this direction?


I assume you're referring to the violence in the film. Well, early on I hired makeup FX wizard Jim Ojala who has worked on quite a few high profile movies. Jim didn't come cheap so I thought I'll be damned if I don't use him! And, it was the right choice. There's generally two ways to handle violence in a horror movie. One, the Hitchcock way - very stylized where you don't see everything and your imagination fills in the rest. People will always tell you this is the BEST way to do it. Fuck them. They have no imagination. There's a second way to do it. And that's take the gore to the extreme! You know, cater to all those sick people out there who only watch horror movies because they are trying to satisfy some twisted subconscious blood-lust. Hold on a sec, my pizza's ready. Ok, I'm back. I didn't want to do it that way either. I wanted to do it my way. I wanted to shoot it from the right angles and use just enough blood to make the scene seem truly authentic. You know, like in real life. Violence is an ugly thing, my friend. Why shouldn't it be the same in movies? I wanted to capture that gut wrenching response and inject it into the audience. Powerful. Visceral. Movies might not be real but the feeling sure as hell is. With KDH, I wanted to reach out from the screen and grab 'em by the balls.



3. Are you a horror fan, if so what titles are your favorites?

Yes, I enjoy horror movies. Movies in generals. Just great stories. They're at the root of every great movie anyway. I'm not sure I have an all time favorite. But, I do like Stephen King. Kubrick's "The Shining" and Darabont's "The Mist" are certainly near the top of the list.

4. This little vision shocked me, it is really good. Are you working on a feature or something else?

Thank you, James. Yes, I'm currently developing a feature. I plan on finishing the script later this year. It's really a Pandora's box. No one will see this coming. If you liked the short, the feature's gonna melt your face. It's crazy. I don't have financing locked down yet but as soon as I do I'm gonna pour all my atoms into making the greatest scary movie of all time. That way even if I fail, the horror world's still gonna have something tasty to gnaw on.



5. How can they see this or buy this?

You can buy the film on IndieFlix and Lulu. Here are the URLs:

http://www.facebook.com/l/970027VCnRUSvU4i3ITO48daOYA/www.indieflix.com/film/kill-devil-hill-31927/

We're eagerly waiting to hear back from Hulu. I really hope everyone in America will get a chance to see the film for free. If it's not accepted, then it's the duty of every KDH fan to rape, pillage and plunder the Hulu corporate offices in LA. Hopefully, one of you mace wielding maniacs knows how to work the server otherwise all the bloodshed will be for nothing! But seriously, I was told Time Warner Cable is going to be playing the film soon. I don't have all the details on this yet. I'm also looking into options to bring the film free to international audiences. I believe Hulu only works in the US. Please check our website and these additional links:
http://www.facebook.com/l/97002Nu-kL3DbX6m8uXyJbNsWaw/killdevilhill.webs.com http://www.facebook.com/killdevilhill
http://www.indieflix.com/film/kill-devil-hill-31927/
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jordanfilm
http://killdevilhill.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment