Search the Cinema Head Cheese Archives!

March 27, 2011

Movie Review: Monsters (2010)

When you read the title Monsters, what do you expect? Monsters, maybe? If you watched the trailer that made its way around the internet, you would think you're watching a combination of District 9 and Starship Troopers. It even looked like there would be an element of Cloverfield in there. Let me tell you, that is not at all what you will get.

Buy Monsters on DVD or Blu-ray

The premise is simple. A satellite or some other space type object (I really don't care enough to remember) falls to Earth and breaks up over Mexico. The fragments are covered in alien bacteria, and it contaminates the U.S./Mexico border and surrounding areas. Giant bug-like octopus creatures inhabit the area, and they are extremely dangerous.

In the beginning of the movie, we see the military from both countries handling an attack in Mexico. An American photographer is instructed to find his boss' daughter, who was injured in the attack. The early monster attack gives the movie promise for many more, but it never really happens. What we really get is a road trip love story. The monsters only show up two or three more times during the movie.

Here's the dilemma for me; the movie is beautifully shot and the acting is good. By all accounts, it's an interesting story that builds a little bit of tension. What really killed this movie for me was the title and the trailer. They were both misleading. If I knew this was a story about a trip through unsafe parts of Mexico that just happened to be infested with monsters, I might have reacted differently. I want to like it, but I just don't know. I want to give the actors and filmmakers credit for doing a good job.

If you just want to watched talented actors and good filming, check Monsters out. If you want a good mutant monster movie, I'd recommend The Mist.

No comments:

Post a Comment