Search the Cinema Head Cheese Archives!

May 20, 2011

Movie Review: Smiley Face (2007)

I'm an Anna Faris fan. I think she's one of the few actresses that can consistently handle comedy. I was happy to see her grab the lead in a few films. Smiley Face is something I heard about for awhile, and I finally sat down and watched. With the way Faris portrayed Jane, a hapless stoner throughout this movie, I could tell she was working from experience.

Buy Smiley Face on DVD

The movie is packed with great actors. You have Danny Masterson as Jane's angry nerd roommate, John Krasinski as his nerd friend who loves Jane, Jane Lynch, Adam Brody, Brian Posehn, Danny Trejo and more in crazy cameos. The story is simple. Jane is stoned, and she has the munchies. She eats cupcakes that she doesn't know are laced. She eats a lot of cupcakes. She is fucked up. There are many things that Jane is supposed to do, but you can guess that there really isn't a chance in hell that any of that is going to happen.



Faris was authentic. I've smoked before, and I had about a square inch of brownie once, and I'm not really a fan of the trees. Everything Jane went through was everything I hate about being stoned. There were some good plot points in the movie, and there were some funny moments. I'm not saying it was a great movie, but it wasn't bad to sit back and watch on an afternoon. I can't imagine watching it stoned. It might only magnify the paranoia.

No comments:

Post a Comment