Search the Cinema Head Cheese Archives!

February 26, 2011

Interview: Jen and Syl Soska

James DePaolo sits down with the talented creators of Dead Hooker in a Trunk and the upcoming American Mary, Jen and Syl Soska.







1.What was your first film memory that made you a fan ?

S: Jen and I will have the same answer of this - we have always been each others' backup in life, so we experienced horror and fell in love with it together. We watched POLTERGEIST and it scared the shit out of me. The bodies raising from the earth was a big element of that fear, but my mom did the coolest thing on the planet. She sat me down and explained that very talented artists created every aspect of what terrified me. That blew my mind and started me and horror's love fest.

J: I remember the first time a film scared the shit out of me. I don't know if it was the first horror movie I had ever seen, but it was certainly the first that left an impression on me. It was Poltergeist. I remember being so scared and thinking I could get trapped in the TV. I had a clown doll that I locked in the closet. My mom explained to me how it was all just make believe and there were people that made up the story and the effects and everyone was just an actor and no houses get built on graveyards.
After that I remember being hooked. My mom also had a huge collection of Stephen King novels. She let us take our pick and read whatever we wanted. It was very cool of her.


2.If you had the chance and (not anything by Tarantino or Rodriguez )could remake one movie and make it in your style what would it be?


S: I wish I had made SUICIDE CLUB. It was perfect so much so that I'm jealous that I didn't think of something so poetic and dark. Proof that you know us well, James, is saying no Rodriguez or Tarantino. Ha ha. I would like to remake BLOODRAYNE. It was a guilty pleasure for me to play the game as the uber sexy, Nazi-killing, secret agent, half vampire and I think that realm of her world would make for a fun flick.

J: Wow! That's a tough one. Any movie? Ask me again and maybe I'll be excited about something else, but I'd love to remake PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE. It's such a great film. A cult classic with humor, horror, and music. I hear someone's remaking it, but I'd like to be the one to do it. I love that film and I'd want to add our own personal touches to it, but I'd like to pay proper respect to the original and the people who love the film.


3.What is harder for you guys? Editing a film? Directing a film? Or Writing a Script?


S: Writing is the the least hard, since it requires just me and Jen to get it done. Editing is a treat because we have CJ Wallis, who has done the post and much of the technical side for his partners who started just with a passion for story telling. I would say directing would be most hard, although I really enjoy the birthing process of film making. When you have so many people looking to you because everyone is working their ass off to bring your crazy concept to life, you gotta know your shit. I can be socially awkward and everyone needs their own approach, so that can be a bit of a challenge.

J: I'd say editing. I have an incredible editor that we work with. He did an amazing job on DEAD HOOKER IN A TRUNK, among performing many other jobs. CJ Wallis. We work together on the edits, but I'm a bit to Amish to use the software on my own. Writing and directing I get to do with Sylv and it's wonderful to work with her. I honestly feel sorry for you "normies" out there without twins.



4. A lot of fans know you have taken Dead Hooker in a Trunk on the road, you have played any city, or state that requested the film. What has been your best memory of this adventure, and on the flip side what is your worst memory?


S: There have been too many good memories to really pick a best. We had a great time at the Viscera and Bleedfest Film Festivals because it was exciting to be in LA and meet so many cool horror folks. The best would be when we screened it in our hometown and the audience was cheering so loud that it was deafening. It was a privilege and honor to get such a warm response in our hometown.


My worst memory was when my mom looked online and saw some of the negative comments that we were getting. I know what I signed up for with having our work and ourselves in the spotlight, but it's not something you want your mom to have to see. No matter what we do, we're still her little girls. I just tell her that people online can say some pretty mean stuff and it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things if 'anonymous' doesn't like my work. Not everyone will.

J: The worst parts are all the same. Being independent, we just can't afford to travel to all the places that our film has gone. Especially since it's traveled world wide! I hate not being there and not being able to hear how the audience reacts at different parts. I wish I could be at every single festival and thank everyone for coming out and talk to everyone about the film and answer their questions. But the best memories have been receiving emails, videos, and photos from people who attended the festivals telling us about how the festival went and what people said about the film. It's really the next best thing to being there. It was really nice to travel down to LA for Bleedfest and Viscera last year and meet so many fellow femme fatales.



5.What is the status on American Mary? And Dead Hooker in a Trunk on dvd? Will there be a blu ray?


S: Hiring my name cast. We have Katie (the intoxicating Katharine Isabelle) as the title character, offers out to the other three, the fourth and co-lead will be the last as I have been told he may be the most difficult to obtain. This is our first time with a budget like this, so we have lots to learn while taking what we learned on HOOKER and applying it to creatively tackle this new film. There is a big chunk of time for prosthetics and effects are they will be heavily featured throughout the film.


HOOKER will be out on DVD soon. Hope that we get blu ray, but that depends on the buyer. The lovely sales team handling the deal at Industry Works, they are also the fine folks that are behind getting AMERICAN MARY up, are finding a distributor that will best fit us and what we would like to see done with the film. We want it out there so people can see it.

J: AMERICAN MARY is in pre-production. With both DEAD HOOKER IN A TRUNK and AMERICAN MARY we will be announcing some big news. DHIAT will be coming home very soon, with DVD extras galore.



6.This is a touchy question. Alot of Indie filmmakers are notorious for telling half truths about their films. If you ever made a film that you were not 100 percent satisfied with where do your morals lie? do you tell fans that hey this is something we are not fully behind, and lose money and know that you may not be able to make a second film or do you lie and tell your fan base you need to check this out, it was awesome you will love this?


S: It's hard to be honest without hurting someone especially when dealing with something as personal as film making. Some people really love their work despite the shortcomings and don't want to hear anything but 100% support of their piece. If I don't like a film, then I don't like it. If you seen fledgling work where creative people had certain limitations, the piece may not be perfect by big studio standards but you can still see the director's style there if such a style existed. You can see a good story telling even with the humblest of means and that kind of accomplishment needs to be acknowledged and celebrated. That's the kind of film I will promote.


I'm a big fan of horror, so it's a treat to see what other people in the industry are up to. I'm lucky to get a lot of cool stuff sent to me. If it struck home with me, I will totally share it and pass it along. I won't promote something I don't believe in. The people who have supported me deserve better than that.

J: I feel as film makers we have a responsibility to not promote crap to the people who are good enough to watch our work. I will never stand behind a film that I don't believe in. Many film makers look at their work and see all the things that they wish they could have done differently, but that's different. The desire to be better is what drives your work and makes you change for the better. But we owe it to the audience to not try to trick them into watching some steaming pile of shit.



7.This is Kill, Fuck and Marry. You know the deal, one you kill, one you fuck and one to marry and please tell us some juicy details..and I was more than fair

Rip Torn, Kelsey Grammar, and Sarah Palin


S: Kill Rip Torn because we ain't fucking. Fuck Kelsey Grammer because he has a very soothing voice and that's all that matters - maybe it's Dr. Fraser Crane or Sideshow Bob - oh the possibilities, and marry Sarah Palin - we are different in some ways but once our same-sex marriage is approved that will open the doors to allowing people who love each other this basic human right. Although, I am not interested in marriage - so that last bit was a bit hypocritical.

J: Ha ha, that's not so bad! Let's see, let's see... I'd kill Rip Torn. I just couldn't trust a man that would take a hammer to a director. I'd fuck Sarah Palin and over pillow talk I'd give her some shooting tips and tell her how to compensate for an off sight. And, lastly, I'd marry Kelsey Grammar because I love that voice and we could role play X-men, purrrr....


8.You both are workaholics. You do the blog, website and podcast circuit it seems by the hour. When you are not promoting you are working on American Mary or touring with Dead Hooker, you barely have down time. Do your regular jobs understand this, or do you guys quit a job and then when home get another?


S: Oh gawd, this is embarrassing. We are still waiting for HOOKER to get sold and we're still a couple of weeks away from being able to just focus on MARY, so we do have day jobs. It's a very humbling experience to be hiring all these incredible people for the team and all the excitement that comes with a career that is developing so extremely well, then put on your apron, and wait tables so you can pay all these bills we've accumulated over the last three years.


I will never forget for a moment how lucky we are to be doing this and where we came from. You get a lot of rude people when you wait tables - and it can be rough work. Be nice to your waitresses and tip them well. I got a generous tip during Christmas of sixty dollars and I almost cried because I knew it meant I would be able to pay for presents for my family.

J: I was actually working for HMV when I started this all. I liked it because I got to see check out and, of course, stock their film selections and they had a ton of cool world cinema and horror titles. I had scheduled to have our first day on DHIAT and booked the day off a month in advance. When schedule time came, it turned out they had still scheduled me. When I tried to tell them why I couldn't come in, they told me either I come in that day or I don't come back. It was shitty. I left and thought how I couldn't wait for them to carry our DVDs. I'll be sure to go check it out when it happens.
We are pretty much married to our careers. All work, very little time for play. So we make damn sure to spend our down time wisely. We work day jobs together which know about our careers and they really do try to help accommodate our schedules. I do look forward to having only the career to worry about. Multiple jobs do suck a bit. I wouldn't want it any other way, though. I think the time we put it makes a lot of difference. We make sure to respond to every email we get. the only ones we don't respond to are either "show me your tits" or "make me famous".


9.Also do you think 10 years down the road you will look back and regret the life you missed?


S: We're beyond fucking lucky. This past Christmas, my family kept asking what to get me - this was after I knew we were making Mary - and I let them know I have more than any girl could ever dream of. Maybe Xxxxxxx Xxxxx to agree to be in my film. Ha ha.


We don't have a 'normal' life by any means and to be successful you really have to decide yourself fully to your work. The three of us - Jen, CJ, and myself - are very passionate about our work, so it's a good creative group to be in. I may miss out on the social aspects, but I can see me and my boyfriend fall in love in HOOKER. I can tell you every big moment we shared because they were going on privately while we focused on the film. We did our full body burn on his birthday - not the typical candle you get to light.


I regret that I don't get to spend more time with family. But I gotta work hard to make this happen. Then I can spoil them for the rest of our lives.

J: Absolutely not. I actually feel sorry for the people who settle down early. I'm not really one for kids, to each their own. You can't really be there for your kids and have a career. We are up at all hours, still working, plotting, scheming, and writing. It's no place for kids.
Real friends understand how busy we are. I'm sad to say that there aren't a ton of people who can put up with having a friend who works literally all the time. Relationships are even worse that way. Not matter what they think it's like going in, it's hard to be with someone who always puts their work first. I think there's plenty of time in life to find someone. In my youth, I'd like to give my passion all I've got. I love making movies. Everything about it. I have no regrets. My films are like kids, my collaborators are like spouses, and every premiere and film festival is like a wedding day. It's a sweet deal. Who needs a social life, right?


10.Nirvana came out and music changed forever. Are you kind of let down Katherine Bigalow won the oscar for best director and it did not change Hollywood for women yet or at least open some doors in terms of bigger budgets and more leeway to do their thing?


S: It's a confusing time for women. We're executives and sex kittens. We have to be smart, but still be attractive to appease onlookers. The first thing any woman will be judged on is her appearance, her brain and ethics are way down the list for most. Katherine Bigalow's win was huge mark in history for women film makers, but it just didn't get the attention or recognition that it could have to be a catalyst for women's acknowledgment in the industry. The first director to make non-fiction work was French, female director, Alice Guy, and there was so little coverage/interest in her work (which pioneered early cinema) that many of her works were accredited to male coworkers and her historical contributions often questioned.


I'm in a unique situation where I am able to open doors and make films that I want to make. I know a lot of talented women film makers who are constantly struggling in this industry and it sucks. Is it based on sex, a lot of it probably is. I also know that after Bigalow's win, many agencies were seeking out female directors for their rosters. It's not huge, but it's a start. It really depends on what this generation wants to accomplish. There will be changes, we as a culture, just need to fight for it.

J: I know that women have to work a lot harder still today. The Women's Rights Movement really wasn't all that long ago. But having said that, women have always had a big part in this industry. Perhaps many of them have not been given the proper credit that they deserve, but that doesn't belittle their contributions. I think Katherine Bigalow's Oscar win was nice and a step in the right direction. I don't feel that being a woman is a disadvantage. I don't feel I am any less capable than a man. When we make a film, we don't try to make something that would be considered a "good film for a girl". We simply want to make good films. It shouldn't matter whether we are male or female. A woman's work shouldn't be graded more generously than that of a man's. I really think that is what the focus should be on. If our films and story inspire people, that makes us happy.


11.What do you is hurting us worst right now. Racism or Sexism and explain?


S: It's so sad to see the hate that is birthed from the uneducated. Both effects people equally. We saw the first African American President and some female presidential hopefuls. On the surface things seem to be changing, but it's an ongoing battle. We need to be aware that neither fight is won. I live in Vancouver which is filled with people from all different backgrounds and sometimes it's a very understanding place, but you still hear hateful comments about different people based on race, religion, sex, and sexual orientation. And we're called one of the more 'accepting' cities.


It's like Mother Teresa said - start change in those around you because that is how real change is brought on.

J: I think racism. I think we've gotten to a ridiculous point where people are afraid of coming off as racist. I remember old SNL sketches were so racy back in the good ole days. Sexist, racist, ignorant, yes, but funny. People take things way too seriously. No, I don't think anyone should ever be discriminated against based on their gender, race, age, appearance, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation. I do think we need to see where we're just having a laugh and where real hate comes in. In this day and age, it's crazy that intolerance exists. I mean, shouldn't we all know better? More so than sexism and racism, I think there is a lot of cruelty against sexual orientation. I think it's disgusting and ignorant.


12.Do you embrace 3D, or do you think it is kind of fucked up that Hollywood during one of our worst recessions in history is raising ticket prices and trying to milk people?


S: I really don't dig 3D. It feels like a band-aid to be put over un-creative projects for the most part.

J: I pray it doesn't stay. I just hate thinking that one day future generations won't know Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire or Cary Grant or Katharine Hepburn. I don't really want to see THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY in 3D. I love old classic movies. But maybe part of that is because I saw them in my youth. To someone budding horror fan out there, Piranha 3D IS a classic horror movie.



13. Have either of you had your hearts set on meeting someone and when you did, they turned out to be a joke? If so you want to name names for the fans ?


S: Holy shit are there ever a lot of assholes out there. No assiness has gotten to the level of dropping names, but if it does - I will tell. Rad people though, I will totally name drop - Eli Roth: nicest guy on the planet who knows everything about horror, really supportive of independents and women working in the industry, Paul Thomas Anderson: so down to there and kind that you are almost left speechless after speaking to him, he renews your faith in the world, Carlos Gallardo: a founding father of indie film making who isn't too big to support those he has inspired and hearing his stories first hand is like indie heaven, and Katharine Isabelle: who is like a rock star in levels on coolness, she's hilarious to chat with and sharp.

J: Oh, I don't like to name names. There have been some real let downs. I can't stand people with a holier than thou attitude. Making films is uber rad, but it doesn't put you on a level above anyone else. I've met some people with real attitudes. There have been some diva actors and they haven't all been women. When we put a team together, we look for attitude, drive, and passion as well as talent. It's important to surround yourself with people who are here for the right reasons.
There are a few heroes out there that I've yet to meet that I'm terrified to. I love the Weinsteins. I've heard how scary they are, but you can't do what they've been able to in a delicate manner. They're living legends. I hope very much to work with them. And I'd never give them a reason to yell at me, ha ha


14.If you guys never have that big screen million dollar release and you make indie films for the rest of your career, could you be happy with that?


S: Yes. There are different levels of indie. We started with the 'do it yourself' approach and now we have a good chunk of money getting this new picture up and running. We write scripts with budgets in mind, aside from one script, everything can be made independently and we don't intend to ever stop working.

J: Absolutely. We made DEAD HOOKER IN A TRUNK by maxing out our credit cards. If we had to just keep on at the point we're at, we'd be more than happy to. Whether we "make it big" or not, we'll always make movies. As long as someone other than ourselves is watching them. We'd have to be a little more creative with lower budgets, but there's always a creative way of over coming an obstacle that doesn't mean lots of cash. Inexpensive doesn't have to mean cheap.


15. Can you honestly sit in a movie theater and watch a film and be entertained, or do you nit pick talk about how this was done and that..and lose the experience of the escape of movies?


S: It's the same feeling every time. The movie starts and I think: this could be the best thing I've ever seen. Then, depending on the opening/credit sequence, my faith grows or falls. Usually the latter. I can still lose myself in good movies. The ones that I don't like I start remaking in my brain.

J: I've totally ruined movies for myself. I watch and I have to bite my tongue to shut up when watching something with a normal person. Thankfully, I watch most movies with Sylv and CJ and they see the things I see and put up with my being a loud mouth. I watch now and all I see is, "oh, that was a weird cut" or "what a shitty effect" or "they're totally under using that location". It's awful. I complain about things most people don't even notice. I do like to have a shot or several when I'm watching something and catch myself being too critical. Sometimes it's nice to just turn the brain off.


16.If this fell thru and you never got to make Dead Hooker in a Trunk, what would the career path have been?


S: Nothing could keep me from making film. I wanted to be an arachnologist or study fear as a medical specialty, but film making kept drawing me back in.

J: It would take a lot more than everything going to fucking hell to dissuade us from our career path. We're really addicted story tellers and would have tried again. Sure, we may not have been as bright eyed and bushy tailed as we were going in, but we wouldn't be as green.
That or I'd become a professional cos-player.


17.How would Jen and Syl describe themselves on a blind date form?


S: Taken.

J: Single white female. Enjoys killing people on camera, video games, comic books, sushi, weapon collecting, hockey, and scary movies. Must be comfortable with pig eyes in the fridge, creative and abundant expletives, and long work hours. Is married to her career but is willing to have an affair with a living, breathing human being. Undead applicants will be considered on a case by case basis.


18. Why do so many women have sex on their periods, is this something you do as well? What kind of mentality does a guy have that cannot wait the three or four days till it is all clear?


S: I don't but I have heard some stories about less than hygienic accidents with feminine articles getting 'lost' or 'forgotten' to a gross mess later on. A male friend once told me about this 'crazy' Australian girl he picked up who was on her rag who pulled out a tampon before telling him to fuck her hard. Apparently, the best sex of his life. I don't judge people on what consenting adults do to get themselves off - as long as there are no kids or animals involved - have a ball.

J: ha ha, I had to re-read that one just to make sure I got it right. Caught me off guard! I'm not really sure why other women would do it.
I'd only consider it if I was dating a vampire. There would be certain perks, I imagine...



19.Do you think there should be a salary cap as to how much one person can make? Say if someone has a billion dollars in the bank. Do you think he or she will ever spend that much money, that they should give a big chunk into the free market and create jobs? Or if you have 50 billion in the bank, you could give away say give every person one million each and still have a huge interest accrue.


S: You can't cap salaries as that just couldn't be policed and by whom. There is a lot of pressure on people who have financially successful to donate their money and give back - and most known wealthy folks do. It would be nice if money was there to do the better good, but where there is money there is also bound to be greed.


My ambition is to make Twisted Twins Productions a large studio to continue making our own projects, but to also fund other people's work who aren't getting the recognition and opportunities that they deserve.

J: I think money is a regrettable but necessary evil. I do wish I lived in the days where "interesting trades" were an acceptable form of payment, ha ha. People should be able to earn as much as some fool is willing to pay them. It is kind of shitty that professionals who make more are taxed so highly, especially considering many of them are quite charitable. But I guess you get write offs for charitable donations so it evens out. I often wish the whole FIGHT CLUB explosions would happen and the whole world would just call it even and start at the beginning. Yeah, there's a ton of debt, but everyone's in debt. If I was dubbed supreme ruler, I'd just say, "guys, let's call it even". Money is the cause of so much misery. People work so hard for it and it really is worthless. We're not exchanging gold pieces for goods. We pay pretty much worthless pieces of paper. It only has value because we say so.


20. If you had to sum up the twisted twins 2 plus year history in one sentence a piece what would it be?


S: The story of the 'twisted twins', who first hit the indie horror scene with their grindhouse love letter to EL MARIACHI film making - DEAD HOOKER IN A TRUNK, is a window into the thriving and captivating world of independent film as the twosome move onto their second, more 'straight forward horror' film, AMERICAN MARY.

J: Twisted Twins Productions tells the story of two independent Canadian twins who dreamed of a world where horror would exceed it's expectations of merely being a sub genre and with debuting with their underground cult classic break out film, DEAD HOOKER IN A TRUNK, have set out to change the horror (and film) industry for the better by unleashing epic demented tales (as we'll see with their up coming film, AMERICAN MARY), unforgettable characters, dark as fuck humor, and stand out quippy dialogue.
*phew* Yeah, I did do it! Yes, with a fully loaded, run on sentence, but there she be.


21.Now I know its Women Recognition in Film Month Bleedfest supports it..I have had the chance to watch all the films this year. Lets hear your opinions, if you have not seen them. Just say a positive thing or negative about the director. Ready

a. Fugue.
b.In Their Sleep
c.A Foundling


J: AMERICAN MARY has been a demanding mistress and we've sadly not seen any of the aforementioned films. We absolutely adore BLEEDFEST and the insanely rad femme fatale film making sisters, Brenda and Elisabeth Fies. We'll have to get them to hook us up with the directors. Maybe a little "I'll show you mine, if you show me yours" is in order. I look VERY forward to moving us three down to LA and being in attendance for every single BLEEDFEST.
I have heard the "buzz" about these films, though.
a) FUGUE: I hear it is a sensational psychological thriller by Barbara Stepansky. Much more than your average "haunted house" story it has some real "MEMENTO" elements too it. It sounds like a fresh breath of air and we can't wait to see it!
b) IN THEIR SLEEP or rather DANS TON SOMMEIL: Now, there have been some incredible films coming out of France and I'd love to see Caroline Du Potet's thriller. "It’s got a relentless, nerve-wracking, desperate tone that embodies what it means to make a modern French horror film." If that doesn't get your spidey sense tingling, nothing will.
c) A FOUNDLING: Instantly love the title. Directed by Carly Lyn. What many people don't know about me is I LOVE westerns, especially unconventional ones. I am anxiously hoping to breath new life into a much loved, but seemingly forgotten film style. That is exactly what I hear this film does. A must see.


S: Fucking Jen took all my answers. I think it's really important to support festivals like Bleedfest that showcase independent artists' work. Especially since there are only so many venues that give a voice to female independent film makers.

22.Elisabeth and Brenda Fies are so outspoken about women's rights in films, who really is to blame? The system that alot claim does not give a fair chance to females, or the females themselves who seem (no offense) to just about do anything to be noticed and in doing this really lose self respect or will dumb themselves down. Even Katherine Bigalow has been outspoken about all the chains in command and what she has to do to get script and funding approval?


S: It's an extremely hard industry to work in. Many accomplished female film makers like Katherine Bigalow, Mary Harron, and Mary Lambert - have a very fucking hard time getting their films made. Jovanka Vuckovic who is a genius in the world of horror and has her vision praised by huge horror icons, is still fighting to get the last of her funding together for her film - THE CAPTURED BIRD which is going to be an incredible treat for horror fans. At the same time, I know men who have been working for years to get their work out there and are constantly struggling.


I'm grateful to women who are very well versed and spoken when it comes to issues of feminism, equality, and human rights. Those are the voices that need to be heard. Every time I see someone on TV or read a response in an interview where the subject just doesn't 'get it' or care enough to be bother with these issues, it annoys me. I think look how much harder women who want equality and respect have to work now that this bimbo is putting us back decades.

J: I am a very strong feminist, but I don't go out and try to do a good job "for a woman". I just try to make good films and work hard. I don't think there is a difference if you're male or female. I'm sure being a male in this industry has it's disadvantages. Sure, some people might not see a film because it's directed or written by a woman, but there are plenty of people who will go just because of that reason. i don't feel that this is a boys club. I think men are very eager and willing to work by women. I hate to say it, but maybe if you can't get your film funded it's not because you're a woman. The world is dirt poor right now. A LOT of people can't get shit funded.


23. Why is it acceptable and normal to have a female nude on screen, she can topless, bottomless, spread open.. noone ever objects but when it is the opposite and it is the man, the world throws a fit or it is a gay movie? As females does this bother you? Diane Keaton who is in her 60 s did a full on nude scene.


S: I think a big portion of Western culture has a very fucked up view on sex and sexuality. I am fully behind nudity where there is a basis upon why it is there. What would BOOGIE NIGHTS have been without those final frames? I put a lot of cock in my films. I just realized that when my dad brought it up to me the other day - I have him look over all our scripts, hilarious feedback. Every time I feel it has been/ will be beneficial to script. People have started telling me, now that we're getting into bigger productions, I can't keep mutilating cocks - and I say 'try and stop me'.


In all seriousness, I had a lot of auditions for body doubling and eye candy roles, so I understand the sensitivity of the matter when nudity - that very real nakedness - is there. Most actors have no problem if they feel it's justified. There's a big difference from taking off your top in AMERICAN BEAUTY and opposed to Sorority Girl #4 whose face is never fully in focus.

J: Ever seen the television series, OZ? I loved that. I remember watching it on Showcase at night with Sylv and I'd come into school and tell everyone about it, all excited. But all I ever got back from that was "that show's gay!". As I was saying earlier, the intolerance towards gays, particularly gay men, is disgusting. I've heard on so many an occasion a guy say "two chicks" are fine, but are embarrassingly ignorant when it comes to "two dudes". It is exactly that. Ignorant.


24.Would you feel cheapened if you had to get naked and promote the nudity to sell a film?


J: Depends. Is it a film that has purposeful nudity in it? Or is it some sad marketing strategy? I am not afraid to put nudity in a film. Art reflects life, after all, and in life people get naked. Often, in fact. For me myself to get naked? I would never "have to get naked". I'd have had to taken such a role or, in a more likely scenario, written the role for myself. If I made that decision, then that's my decision. I think it's really funny how often we get asked about taking off our clothes. I wonder how often Woody Allen gets asked?

S: It would feel cheap because a lot of people would focus on the fact that they get to see us naked rather than the reason in the script as to why we did it. We're actually retiring from acting with a final performance in AMERICAN MARY. We made DEAD HOOKER IN A TRUNK because we wanted to work on something we actually wanted to work on for a change. Something fun, crazy, and original - our team felt the same way. We didn't just want to be some half naked twins that supply the visual for a wank. Now that we have our first film and are working on our second, we have been getting some interesting offers - many of them the roles we were not interested in in the first place. Never say never, but right now - never.


25.If you could be the President of the United States who would be your vice and what would the first law passed?


S: Jen would be my Vice - in real life she's the Chairman of Twisted Twins Productions and I am the President. Don't ask why, it just works. Same sex marriage would be the first law, followed by education for tolerance and equality. You just set the first up to fail if you don't educate people.

J: I'd have Sylv (I know, big surprise there) as my vice and my first law would be to legalize same sex marriage. Like she said, at Twisted Twins HQ, she's the president and I'm the chairman. We'll always work hand in hand.


26.What would be the bigger goal to you.." this is the nominees for best director Jen and Syl Soska" or hosting Saturday Night Live?


S: I'm not really an awards girl. I want my team to win everything because these are the people that bring this film fantasy to life with us. I always wanted to host SNL with Jen. I even have sketch ideas written down in case I ever get the chance. Maybe Lorne will see his fellow Canadian country(wo)men making this request and humbly oblige us.

J: I have to go with SNL. I do hope to be nominated, by all means, but co-hosting Saturday Night Live with my sister has been a long time dream of mine. We are Canadian, after all, and love Lorne Michaels. I could die a happy girl if I had that honor. The only dream that rivals co-hosting SNL with Sylv is co-hosting the SCREAM AWARDS. I daydream about that all the time.


27.We are at the end, you know I love both of you a lot. And this is that point to do what you love to do..which you remade called The Soska Pimp...so pimp it all to these fans..thanks Jen and Syl and happy 11...and my quote on box...


S: We have a fantastic team working their asses off to bring AMERICAN MARY to life. We wouldn't be able to do this without them - our producers CJ Wallis of FortyFPS Productions - http://www.fortyfps.com - Evan Tylor of our beloved Industry Works - http://www.industry-works.com - our fantastic makeup team at Hello Boss FX lead the industry legend, Mark Shostrom, and our incredible cast (so far released) Katharine Isabelle who take the title role and Paula Lindberg - http://twitter.com/#!/PaulaLindberg - our Ruby RealGirl. Looking very forward to sharing all information with you which we always up date on our Penny Dreadful Diary Blog.


J: James, thank you so very much for taking the time to talk with us again! As you all know, February is Women In Horror month. We want you to celebrate with us by taking part in our WiH Massive Blood Drive. All you have to do? Give blood. Anytime, anywhere, all month long. Send us your photos and videos and you'll be rewarded. You can contact us, as always through our site, http://www.twistedtwinsproductions.net/. There are special events, charitable galas, and film festivals being held in celebration of WiH all month long. You can find out more at the official WiH site here, http://womeninhorrormonth.com/. We will also be releasing a new article via our blog, http://twistedtwinsproductions.blogspot.com/, about an incredible woman that inspires us. We'll be partaking in tons of interviews and podcasts this month, so please keep an eye on our site as we will be making updates as events happen. And we have much more coming on AMERICAN MARY.











No comments:

Post a Comment