Search the Cinema Head Cheese Archives!

November 11, 2011

Movie Review: The Sweet Life (2011)

I'm not a huge fan of romantic comedies, and The Sweet Life promises to be the romantic comedy for people who hate them. I think that's because it will make you hate them even more. The problem I have with this being a romantic comedy is the comedy part. There was really nothing funny about this movie. I don't know if they thought that having Joan Jett in a small role would help, but it didn't. Even worse is her lackluster theme song.

Buy The Sweet Life on DVD

The story is basically about a middle-aged cynic who is jealous of his brother's sexual prowess. His brother has the uncanny ability to pick up unattractive women, and he can only get dates with women who literally claim to be from other planets. Eventually, they nail the same girl, and things get shaky. That's about all there really is to say about this mess.

I'm not a fan of forced comedy. The main character talks so much that you know the writer was trying to be Kevin Smith, but with only one character. Nobody would stand around that long to let this person talk. Joan Jett was over the top, and you can tell that she isn't much of an actress. I'm not really sure why Synapse picked up a movie like this. It doesn't seem to fit their usual fare. It sat for eight years before getting a release, and I can see why. The Sweet Life left a sour taste in my mouth, and so did that horribly canned sentence I just wrote. This just sucks. Instead, watch someone remove asbestos from a factory. That's much funnier, and more romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment