Search the Cinema Head Cheese Archives!

October 29, 2012

Movie Review: Bloody Bloody Bible Camp (2012)

I said it back when I reviewed The Frankenstein Syndrome, and I'll say it again. I don't pander. If a friend makes a movie that I don't like, I won't review it. I'd rather say nothing than lie. That being said, I was very excited to see our own David Hayes in Bloody Bloody Bible Camp. The cast includes Reggie Bannister, Ron Jeremy and Tim Sullivan, and that, plus the crazy title are all a horror fan really needs to get into a movie like this. As proud of this as Dave and director Vito Trabucco are, I knew it had to be good. Not only was it funny and ridiculously gory, it was a perfect love letter to classic slasher flicks.

The movie starts out with a fantastic throwback to the opening of Friday the 13th. Camping teens are drinking, drugging and having sex, and that makes somebody very angry. We see several point-of-view shots from the killer and an amazing full nude shot of a girl running and wearing the best prop '70s bush you'll ever see. Many years later, a church group led by Father Richard Cummings (Reggie Bannister) visits the camp to decide whether or not to buy it. Of course, that's a bad idea, and it leads us through some of the craziest and funniest situations I've seen in a slasher in a long time.

The cast is great. Bannister is very funny throughout the movie. He just seems like he let it all out and had a great time. Two lesser known actors really stood out to me. Christopher Raff plays Timmy, who seems like he's somewhere between mentally challenged and the most naive person on the planet. He makes you laugh and just openly say, "Wow!" just about every time he's on screen. The guy that made me laugh most was Matthew Aidan, who plays Tad. Every time he's on screen, he eats it up. He plays a jocky douche type, and it feels like he must be impersonating someone he knows, because he is just too perfectly over the top.

I recommend Bloody Bloody Bible Camp to any horror fan. If you're around my age, which is mid-thirties or so, you grew up with this stuff, and it'll make you think back to those days. It's a blast, and I'd love to see it in a theater with a crowd. It's absurd, silly and a must watch.

Order the DVD and VHS combo pack right here: Bloody Bloody Bible Camp - Limited Edition Combo Pack

No comments:

Post a Comment